General Packing List
General Packing List
- In general, pack lightly. Leave room for gifts and souvenirs. Soft sided luggage packs more easily into the safari vehicle.
- Always carry passport, airline tickets and money on your person. A fanny pack or moneybag that hangs around the neck works well.
- In case luggage doesn’t arrive the same day you do, put enough clothing and supplies for the first day in your carryon luggage.
- If taking a domestic flight luggage weight restrictions range between 15-20 kgs (33-44 lbs) total per person.
- If climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro or Mt. Meru, additional supplies will be needed.
- Sturdy, comfortable shoes, preferably waterproof. They will get dirty.
- Tennis shoes or sandals for lounging in the evening
- Comfortable, breathable socks
- Shorts, midthigh or longer
- Lightweight, breathable pants
- Short sleeved shirts, cool and breathable (neutral colours are best, avoid black, dark blue and bright red)
- Bathing suit if staying at a lodge with a swimming pool or if visiting Zanzibar
- Long sleeved shirt or sweater for evenings
- Rain jacket or rain poncho
- Women: Lightweight dress/skirt that covers knees (for visiting villages), shoulders should be covered also in the village.
- Men: short sleeve shirts with collars (for visiting villages or evening dining at the lodges).
- Keep valuable jewellery to a minimum
Note: Laundry service is available at most lodges either at a nominal cost or free of charge in some cases.
- Day pack, for you to carry
- Large waterproof duffel bag or backpack
- Sun hat
- Maps, guidebooks
- Scarf (for dust and/or sun)
- Binoculars (2 pair are standard in each vehicle - Nikon Monarch 8x36)
- Money (small Tanzanian bills and/or small US bills for small purchases and tips. Larger US bills and/or travelers checks for bigger purchases)
- Journal/notebook, pencil and pen
- Pocket knife tips
- Electricity adapter
- Energy bars and snacks
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Playing cards, games, books, Frisbee
- Camera, film (film is available but expensive), mini tripod
- Mementos for guides and other travellers
- Personal music device
- Video camera, tapes
- Travel pillow
- Small towel
- Roll of toilet paper (for some public restrooms)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Glasses, contacts, solution
- Comb, mirror
- Shampoo (without heavy fragrance)
- Unscented Deodorant (use cologne/perfume sparingly, if at all, in case it might attract bees or other insects)
- Passport (with visa stamp or completed visa application with $50 or $100 US cash, exact change)
- Yellow fever certificate (REQUIRED if travelling from or through an endemic zone )
- Medical and Travel Insurance
- Address book
- Antiseptic cream
- Band Aids
- Bandages and tape
- Sunscreen (SPF 15+)
- Diarrhoea medicine
- Anti-malaria pills
- Insect repellent
- Lip balm with sunscreen
- Prescription drugs